Shaun Shuxun Wang
Shuxun Wang is a Chair Professor for the Department of Finance at SUSTech. His previous posts have included the Nanyang Business School at Nanyang Technological University Deputy Secretary-General and Head of Research at the Geneva Association Chairman of Risk Lighthouse LLC Professor and Thomas P. Bowles Endowed Chair of the J. Mack Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University and Research Director of SCOR Reinsurance Co.
He has published more than 37 papers in top academic journals including Science Journal of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Pacific Rim Magazine International Actuarial Journal Journal of Risk and Insurance and Insurance: Mathematics and Economics. In 2018 he was the recipient of the 2018 University of Kentucky Research Excellence Award. The American Risk and Insurance Association awarded him the 2010 Robert Mehr Award for the paper published in the Journal of Risk and Insurance ten years ago that best stood the test of time.
Shuxun Wang holds two US patents and one temporary patent. The two US patents are for a mathematical formula called “Wang Transform” which prices risk for fields such as catastrophe insurance credit risk and weather-derived products. He was the co-editor-in-chief of the Journal of the International Actuarial Association between 2005 and 2008.
- PhD in Statistics (1993) University of Waterloo Canada
- MSc in Statistics (1991) University of Saskatchewan Canada
- MSc in Mathematics (1989) Peking University China
- BSc in Mathematics (1986) Peking University China
Professional Designation & Association Membership:
- Fellow of Casualty Actuarial Society (FCAS)
- Chartered Enterprise Risk Analyst (CERA)
- Member of American Risk and Insurance Association (ARIA)
- Since December 2019 - Now: Professor and Chair Department of Finance Southern University of Science and Technology Shenzhen Guangdong China
- Sept. 2015 – November 2019: Director the Insurance Risk and Finance Research Centre (IRFRC) Nanyang Business School Nanyang Technological University Singapore
- 2013 – 2015: Deputy Secretary General Geneva Association Switzerland
- 2005 – 2013: Chairman Risk Lighthouse LLC Atlanta Georgia USA
- 2008 – 2013: Full Professor and Thomas P. Bowles Endowed Chair Robinson College of Business Georgia State University Atlanta GA USA
- 2004 – 2007: Associate Professor of Actuarial Science Robinson College of Business Georgia State University Atlanta GA USA
- 1997 – 2004: Research Director SCOR Reinsurance Co. Itasca IL USA
- 1994 – 1997: Assistant Professor (promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 1997) University of Waterloo Waterloo ON Canada
- 1993 – 1994: Assistant Professor Concordia University Montreal QC Canada
Areas of Research
- Government Support for SMEs;
- Economics of Information Security; Cyber Insurance;
- Disaster Risk Financing and Climate Risk Adaptation;
- Actuarial Valuation of Long-term Investments
- Recipient of the 2018 University of Kentucky Research Excellence Award
- Recipient of the 2014 Variance Journal Best Paper Prize
- Recipient of the 2012 Variance Journal Best Paper Prize
- Recipient of the 2012 Ronald Bornhuetter Loss Reserve Prize
- Recipient of the 2011 CAS/CIA/SOA Best Paper with Practical Risk Management Applications
- Recipient of the 2010 Robert Mehr Award by the American Risk and Insurance Association (for the paper published in the Journal of Risk and Insurance ten years ago that best stood the test of time)
- Invited to deliver a Capitol Hill briefing in Washington D.C. on the research report "The Financial Crisis and Lessons for Insurers" on September 29 2009
- Recipient of the 2004 Ronald Ferguson Prize in Reinsurance
- Recipient of Inaugural Bob Alting von Geusau Memorial Prize by the International Actuarial Association in Hague Netherlands in 2003
- Recipient of the 2003 Charles A. Hachemeister Prize by the Casualty Actuarial Society
- Inventor of the Wang Transform a formula for pricing risks. Awarded U.S. Patent ( #: US7752126) on July 6 2010 and U.S. Patent (# 7315842) on January 1 2008
- Recipient of the 1997 Best Paper Prize at the CAS Ratemaking Seminar Boston
Google Scholar Citation Statistics
- Wang Shaun Shuxun and Goh Jing Rong and Sornette Didier and Wang He and Yang Esther Ying Government Support for SMEs in Response to COVID-19: Theoretical Model Using Wang Transform (June 12 2020). Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3608646 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3608646
- "Cyber risk research impeded by disciplinary barriers." SCIENCE November 29 2019. https://science.sciencemag.org/content/366/6469/1066.summary (Authors: Gregory Falco Martin Eling Danielle Jablanski Virginia Miller Lawrence A. Gordon Shaun Shuxun Wang Joan Schmit Russell Thomas Mauro Elvedi Thomas Maillart Emy Donavan Simon Dejung Matthias Weber Eric Durand Franklin Nutter Uzi Scheffer Gil Arazi Gilbert Ohana Herbert Lin)
- Wang Shaun (2019) “Integrated Framework for Information Security Investment and Cyber Insurance” Pacific-Basin Finance Journal https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pacfin.2019.101173. Winner of the 2018 University of Kentucky Research Prize.
- Shaun Wang as a co-author (2018) "On Cyber Risk Management of Blockchain Networks: A Game Theoretic Approach" IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (Authors: Shaohan Feng ; Wenbo Wang ; Zehui Xiong ; Dusit Niyato ; Ping Wang ; Shaun Wang) Pages: 1 - 12 ISSN Information: DOI: 10.1109/TSC.2018.2876846.
- Dr. Shaun Wang’s 2000 paper “A Class of Distortion Operators for Pricing Financial and Insurance Risks” holds the “2nd Most Cited” paper published in the Journal of Risk and Insurance [top academic journal in Insurance and Risk Management] Single paper Google Scholar citation: 616.
- Dr. Shaun Wang’s 1996 paper “Premium Calculation by Transforming the Layer Premium Density” still holds the “Most Cited All Time” title of ASTIN Bulletin (The Journal of the International Actuaries Association)’s 60+ year history. ASTIN Bulletin is the top academic journal in Actuarial Science https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/astin-bulletin-journal-of-the-iaa/most-cited. Single paper Google Scholar citation: 713.
- Co-Editor ASTIN Bulletin (Journal of the International Actuarial Association) 2005-2008.
- Member of Editorial Board – Asia-Pacific Journal of Risk and Insurance (2006)
- Associate Editor - North American Actuarial Journal (2001-2004)
- Section Editor - Encyclopedia of Actuarial Science (2001-2002)
- Founding Editor for the Joint SOA/CAS Risk Management Section Newsletter (2004)
Speaking Engagement at Conferences
2019: Haifa University Israel; Hebrew University Israel; Remin University China; Myanmar; Society of Actuaries Annual Meeting Toronto; Asia Actuarial Conference Singapore; ICRM Symposium Singapore; Harvard University Massachusetts; National Insurance Academy India; Oxford University England; SCOR Paris; Fifteenth Annual Forum on Financial Information Systems and Cybersecurity: A Public Policy Perspective USA.
2018: RIMS Cyber Risk Forum USA; 9th International Symposium on Catastrophe Risk Management ICRM NTU Singapore; Wuhan University Wuhan China; Insurance Summit on Belt and Road Initiative Mandarin Orchard Hotel Singapore; International Congress of Actuaries Berlin Germany; Monetary Authority of Singapore Singapore; Tsinghua University China; Columbia University USA; Finance and Insurance School of Laval University Canada.
2017: Shanghai Lujiazui Financial Risk Forum Shanghai China; Centre of Excellence of International Trading and Centre for RMB Internationalisation Studies of NBS Pan Pacific Singapore; Fullerton Hotel Singapore; American Risk and Insurance Association Annual meeting in Toronto Canada; 2nd Asia Cyber Risk Summit Singapore; Workshop on Measurement of Digital Security Incidents and Risk Management in Zurich Switzerland; Blavatnik Interdisciplinary Cyber Research Centre Israel; Monetary Authority of Singapore Singapore; China Finance Information Centre Shanghai China.
2016: NTUitive Innovation Center Singapore; Cyber Risk and Secure Finance Forum Shanghai; University of New South Wales Sydney; CAS Asia Regional Affiliate Singapore Seminar Singapore; Asia Development Bank Institute Tokyo Japan; 1st Asia Cyber Risk Summit Singapore; ICRM Symposium Singapore; IFOA Asia Conference Hilton Kuala Lumpur; Asia Conference on Big Data and Analytics for Insurance Singapore.
Supervision of Doctoral Disserations
- Supervisor Jing Rong GOH 2016 – 2019 Graduated in 2019.
- Member Doctoral Dissertation Committee Pingyi LOU Three Essays on Insurance Company Investment 2015-2018. [Dr Lou is now on faculty at Fudan University]
- Member of Thesis Committee YANG Bowen Title of her doctoral thesis - "Longevity and Statistical Modelling" (graduated in 2017)
- Supervisor of visiting doctoral student Jing Jing ZHU (2016-2017)
- External Examiner Doctoral Dissertation Committee of Ruodu Wang Georgia Institute of Technology completed in May 2012.
- Member Doctoral Dissertation Committee of Jin Gao Georgia State University completed in December 2010.
- Chair Doctoral Dissertation Committee of Xiangjing Wei Georgia State University completed in August 2010.
- Co-Chair Doctoral Dissertation Committee of Hua Chen Georgia State University completed in May 2008.
- Member Doctoral Dissertation Committee of Ruilin Tian Georgia State University completed in May 2008.
- Chair Doctoral Dissertation Committee of Chayanin Kerdpholngarm Georgia State University completed in December 2007.
- Chair Doctoral Dissertation Committee of Andreas Milidonis Georgia State University completed in December 2006.
- Member Doctoral Dissertation Committee of Yijia Lin Georgia State University completed in May 2006.
- Member Doctoral Dissertation Committee of Edohj Afambo Georgia State University completed in May 2006.
- Member Doctoral Dissertation Committee of Jeung-bo Shim Georgia State University completed in 2006.
- External Reviewer for the Doctoral Thesis of Mohamed Hamada University of New South Wales Australia “Contingent Claim Pricing Using Probability Distortion Operators” completed in 2002.
- External co-Advisor for the Doctoral Thesis of Harry Niederau University of Zurich “Axiomatic Representation of Insurance Pricing” completed in 2000.
- Member Doctoral Thesis Committee for Hoque Sharif University of Waterloo “Stepwise Recursion for Compound Lagrange Distributions” completed in 1997.